Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a good holiday. I decided that, instead of moping around on Christmas Eve by myself, that I would do something I have never done before. I cooked a complete dinner:

Christmas Eve Dinner

Okay, as complete a dinner one can make when one is cooking only for oneself. Stuffing, roast chicken, gravy, green beans, roast onions and garlic, red wine. I followed recipes in Nigella Lawson's How to Eat for the chicken, gravy, and the stuffing. They turned out pretty good, if I may say so myself.

I also got to decorate my apartment, with a little help from my friends. Thanks Melissa, Jon, Kelly, Chad, Trista, and Dan!

Christmas Decorations

That's my Christmas fern, by the way. I didn't get a tree. I bought a fern instead. Easier to haul home.

The New Year is always my favorite holiday of the year. It's a clean slate- a year I haven't mucked up yet. I can turn over a new leaf, and swear that I am going to clean up my act, and I mean it this time! Which always leads to resolutions. This year, like I mentioned earlier , one of my resolutions is to make some friends here in Leeds. Corollary to this, I want to get involved in some activities. I mentioned a cooking class, and an orienteering class, but what I really would like to do is take up dancing again. I did belly dancing for 2+ years. So maybe I'll take up belly dancing again, or maybe I'll take up bhangra dancing, or try tango again.

Another resolution is to conquer the public transport system here in Leeds. Believe it or not, Worcester peeps, I have NOT been on the bus yet. The fares confuse me greatly. From what I understand, there isn't necessarily a set fare based on mileage- it seems pretty random what you get charged. And I'd HATE to be that person on the bus fiddling with her money, and saying “But how much is it?!?”Because those people drove me batshit crazy in Worcester.

I just need to suck it up and GO. I'll make my first destination a fabric store. That will get me on the damn bus.

Other resolutions include the usual eat better! Exercise more! Travel! Write more! Sew more! Imbibe more gin!

What, your resolutions don't include “imbibe more gin”? Huh. Why not? Maybe you should revise your resolutions.

Comments

Daphne said…
Happy New Year - I hope you feel more at home in Leeds soon! (Can't help with the bus fares though - I don't understand them either).
Silverback said…
Happy New Year to you too, Kat.

Just check out web sites for bus times and fares or pick up the info at bus stations or even from a bus driver on a route you'd want to go on.

And keep warm. I hear it's a bit chilly there !
Anonymous said…
Really I'd just prefer to imbibe more brandy. Just not a gin girl.
Glad to hear your holidays had some Merry to them.
Liz
N. Vivian said…
Toph's wa. He's become fond of gin-and-diet-pepsi's. Which I just don't get...

Hope you spent some of that downtime snuggling up and reading The Monk. Cause, y'know, you had nothing better to do, I'm sure...
Anonymous said…
Hi, Kat. Great to know there is another American in Leeds. The bus fair schedule in this city is actually not as complicated as it seems. I had to unwillingly resort to using local (and not-so-local) public transportation after being forced to do so by changing family circumstances. And I had learned to use it to my advantage I have to say, even as far as getting free tickets (occasionally) after complaining about the bus service here that leaves a lot to be desired compared to the great system I've gotten used to over the years in New York City. As far as Leeds bus fares are concerned, nothing beats the so-called Day Ticket (or Day Ride in local parlance). If you're commuting to work on a daily basis, then it's a good idea to get a monthly ticket, which you can also use to travel throughout West Yorkshire. If you have any questions, I'll be happy to help
(e-mail cusks37320@mypacks.net)

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey

I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.