Kirkstall Abbey
Oh.My.Goodness. Kirkstall Abbey was AMAZING. I was in awe. I wanted to take 4 zillions pictures, at all sort of artsy angles, but due to time constraints (and due to the weather- it started raining), I couldn't.
Look at that blue sky.
Kirkstall Abbey was completed in the late 12th century. It was the home of an order of Cistercian Monks until 1539. It is one of the most complete medieval abbeys in Britain.
I think the reason I was so awestruck is because we don't have anything this old in the States. I could feel the history of the place. Over 800 years of stories, and past lives. 800 years of change, and yet this abbey is still standing, still recognizable as an abbey.
There's a cemetery hiding somewhere on the grounds as well. I will find it.
I bought some paints and some paper on a whim on Saturday. I am definitely hauling myself, my camera, and my paints out to Kirkstall Abbey again. I think I've found my new favorite place. At least until I find a new favorite place.
Comments
I live a couple of miles from the Abbey and although I've been a few times for a visit (most recently last year actually), I'd never even think of taking a visitor there.
Thank you for your enthusiasm - although you DO have lots of old things here in America too. I'm living amongst a lot of them in Florida. LOL.
J-Lo