Pieces of Our Lives

When I moved into my new apartment, I kept getting mail for the previous tenant. Let's call her Jane. It was inevitable, I suppose, especially since it costs some obscene amount of money to have your mail forwarded to a new address here.

I didn't really pay much attention to most of the mail. I opened an electric bill because it was addressed to "Occupier", since I was the occupier. It wasn't for me, though- it was for the three months previous. I looked more closely at the bill, and saw that it hadn't been paid in 6 months.

This happened with a few more bills, including the television license (which I paid for the week I moved in, I heard about those TV Licensing people!). I didn't pay much attention, since they didn't apply to me. There were also a few letters from a prisoner in California mixed in.

Meanwhile, for the first two weeks I lived in my new apartment, gentleman callers (wow, I sound like my mother) rang my doorbell at 3am looking for Jane. Thank goodness that ended after I yelled at them.

Then I got a letter saying that unless Jane paid nearly 1300 pounds in back taxes, all of her possessions would be confiscated. One problem: those possessions they wanted to confiscate where MINE, not Jane's. Cue panic attack until that got sorted out.

Recently, I've been getting envelopes for Jane from a prominent department store. They want Jane to send them some receipts for things she's charged to the company card. Again, I didn't pay much attention, until today. I noticed that these aren't the same charges from three months ago- these are changes from January.

I've been trying to put together Jane's story. Was she a party girl that was irresponsible and didn't pay her bills and wrote to prisoners? Did she run away from her debts, and is now living on her company credit card? Was she just unfortunate?

It makes me wonder what someone think about me, if they only saw snatches of my life. Would they think I was a boring workaholic? A weird science fiction nerd? An artsy ditz?

Comments

De said…
I think about that during crime shows--isn't that morbid? if i was horribly murdered, what would gil grissom discover about my life and how would they talk about me?
Anonymous said…
always set up a contingency plan to remove all evidence of ones secret life if you drops! dead.
Anonymous said…
Jane sounds like a real ho. She probably IS living off the card and probably got evicted!

JLo

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey

I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.