Newsworthy

There was a male duck convention outside my apartment this morning:

Duck Convention

Quack, quack, quack. They were worked up about something. Maybe they were talking about how it's possible for insurance companies to track you via your cell phone, and then change how much they charge you for your policy. Here's a thought: if you think you're going somewhere the insurance company will think is dodgy, leave your cell phone home. Or have your really healthy friend take it with him/ her to the gym all the time.

Note: I think it's wrong that an insurance company would track someone, and then make judgments based on that tracking. Right to privacy is a HUGE issue for me. I'm saying that it would be fairly easy to fool the insurance company, and therefore tracking would be silly.

Or maybe the ducks were discussing the Eurovision contest. My only impression of the Eurovision contest was formed from watching reruns of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" as a teenager. Which means my impression of the Eurovision contest is that it's goofy.

Or perhaps the ducks are outraged over the MP expenses scandal? Here's the gist of it: MPs have been claiming a whole bunch of stuff that they shouldn't have, for a number of reasons.

The part that baffles me is how SHOCKED so many people are about it. I thought at first it was the media blowing the whole thing out of proportion, as it does. But, it seems like regular people are genuinely shocked and stunned that their politicians would do this sort of thing.

I've become so jaded by eight years of craptastic government in the US that hearing about this scandal just makes me raise my eyebrows and say "And? Why are you surprised? Politicians lie. Duh". Is this cynical attitude just mine, or do other Americans feel the same way?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Me=not stunned. I don't think we Americans have been shocked since Nixon. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't use government money to buy hookers! Oh, you ONLY bought a vacation. You bad boy, you. You just got schooled by Spitzer, son.

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey

I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.