Woman moves to Leeds. Then Bradford. Hilarity ensues.
Technology!
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
I learned that my camera can take short videos! So I made a 360 degree (okay, maybe more like 240 degree) view from the top of Middle Hare Head, in the Yorkshire Dales.
Remember that man I mentioned over a year ago? Well, reader, I married him. Then embarked on the emotional roller coaster that is a spousal visa application. Luckily, I got my visa, and was able to join him. Also luckily, he did not have a crazy wife in his attic that set the house on fire. I have returned to Leeds after being away for over a year. I've been back for just over a week, and it's been interesting getting back into my UK groove. There's the usual things, like re-programming myself to look right then left when crossing the street, and re-learning the money denominations. But, like when I first moved here in 2008, it's the little things that trip me up. How to use the washing machine. Recipes being in weights instead of volumes. Coriander instead of cilantro. One of the more illuminating things that has come to my attention to me is the importance of an address. It proves you belong to a place. The question of "Do you have a piece of official m...
Oh.My.Goodness. Kirkstall Abbey was AMAZING. I was in awe. I wanted to take 4 zillions pictures, at all sort of artsy angles, but due to time constraints (and due to the weather- it started raining), I couldn't. Look at that blue sky. Kirkstall Abbey was completed in the late 12th century. It was the home of an order of Cistercian Monks until 1539. It is one of the most complete medieval abbeys in Britain. I think the reason I was so awestruck is because we don't have anything this old in the States. I could feel the history of the place. Over 800 years of stories, and past lives. 800 years of change, and yet this abbey is still standing, still recognizable as an abbey. There's a cemetery hiding somewhere on the grounds as well. I will find it. I bought some paints and some paper on a whim on Saturday. I am definitely hauling myself, my camera, and my paints out to Kirkstall Abbey again. I think I've found my new favorite place. At least until I find a new favorite plac...
This amuses me no end. But ticks me off at the same time. I will explain. A while ago, I bought a satchel . It's big enough to fit in some papers, a book, an umbrella, and my wallet. It helps me avoid dragging a bunch of junk to work that I don't need. It has a strap long enough to put it across my body, leaving my hands free to push pedestrians walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk out of the way. It also fit in with my slightly dorky academic style, which I came by honestly by the fact a) I have a PhD in virology, and b) I have a job in academia. Now, this style bag has been on the runway. And a designer, Mulberry , has made their own satchel which means soon everyone will have one. So, I'll look trendy! Not only trendy, but ahead of the curve by a few months! That's a new sensation. However, this will mean hipsters may start carrying one as well, which cheeses me off. Those of you that know me well, or happen to be in my vicinity when I mutter "fucking hip...
Comments