Edinburgh

This past Christmas, instead of moping around Leeds, I decided to go somewhere. I thought about a couple places, then it was recommended to me to go to Edinburgh. Which turned out to be the perfect place to spend Christmas, because it snowed.

Street fair
Edinburgh Castle
Scottish 5 pound note

Edinburgh is a great city for walking. I spent all of Christmas day just walking around, and still didn't see everything I wanted to. So much history! It's a violent, bloody, poverty-stricken, challenging-the-authority history. Leeds is a young city in the grand scheme of things, so walking around a city that's had some sort of human habitation in it since the Bronze Age was fascinating.

Holyrood Park
Holyrood Palace and Abbey Ruins
Police Box
Flodden Wall
National Monument, Calton Hill

I went to 5 churchyards/ cemeteries while I was there. I like churchyards and cemeteries, so this was heaven. I separated out most of the cemetery pictures, so people don't groan "Not another headstone, Kat!". Here they are.

My camera battery died on my second-to-last day. I didn't bring the charger, because I'm an idiot sometimes. Not to be deterred, I bought a disposable camera, and took pictures at Holyrood Palace and Abbey, and Edinburgh Castle. Once I figure out where to get the camera developed, I'll put those pictures up. Until then, here's the rest. I put in as many notes on history and whatnot in the flickr photostream.

I realized that I never blogged about my hike around the Ring of Steall. The first pictures in that Scotland photostream are from that hike. To put it politely, that hike was not one of my more brilliant ideas. But the pictures are kinda cool. I also went to Iceland (Reykjavik) a few months ago. I should really blog about that at some point.

Comments

Silverback said…
Glad you enjoyed Edinburgh, Kat and had to smile at my city of Leeds being called 'young' when its history goes back to the 5th century.

It's all relative of course.

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey

I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.