Happy Boxing Day!

Don't forget to give the servants the day off!

Originally, I was going to go away for Christmas like I did last year. But then the weather started acting wacky. And then I kept getting sick with one cold after another. In the end, I decided to stay put.

I roasted a chicken, using Julia Child's recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It turned out amazing, probably because, like all of Julia Child's recipes, it requires a ton of butter. She should have titled her book Screw It: Use the Damn Butter, You'll Thank Me Later.

I also worked on sewing up a skirt. I got all but the finishing details done yesterday. I did the belt loops and buttons today to finish it up:
Beignet Skirt

Sorry for the bad picture- I finished it after the sun went down, so no natural sunlight. The pattern is Beignet from Colette Patterns. Grey gabardine with cotton/ synthetic floral lining and purple plastic buttons. I've made this skirt before, although I don't remember the belt loops being as traumatizing as they were this time. The rest of the skirt is fairly easy, but turning those belt loops is a nightmare.

I suppose technically it should be called "Christmas skirt", but I'm kinda eh on Christmas. Boxing Day skirt? I have a date to see Tron 2 later this week, so maybe I'll call it "Tron skirt".

Comments

kristina said…
The skirt looks lovely. Once again a brilliant lining fabric!

And very impressed with your culinary exploits. I adored Julia's autobiography and am about to start in on her letters, but I don't think my culinary skills are advanced enough to actually attempt the recipes...

K x
Kat said…
Julia Child's recipes are actually not that hard, I swear! As long as you read them through beforehand so you know what to expect, you should be good. You can skip out steps like lightening cognac on fire, too, without ruining anything.
Anonymous said…
There's a new book out about the correspondence between Julia Child and a woman in the US who helped her get published. I read a review of it and a clip from one of the letters to Julia said something like, "Darling, you've made me gain five pounds with your buttery recipes." It might as well have ended, "You bitch." I immediately thought of your comment on the blog!
JLo

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey

I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.