British Snack Foods

A small sampling of snack foods from my trip to the grocery store this evening.

Kit Kat

Yes, I know, Kit Kats are not just a British thing, we have them in the States, too. But! The package is different! And they're FOIL FRESH here!
Upon opening the package: The sweet smell of chocolate wrapped around a wafer. Reminds me of late afternoons at the lab, and getting a Kit Kat from the vending machine, then eating it at the back door of the building with the smokers while we're all hiding from our PIs. Ah, memories.
Upon tasting: There must be something to that FOIL FRESH claim because this Kit Kat's got some bite to it! Crispy!

Prawn Cocktail Flavored Chips

Upon opening the bag, one catches the light scent of shrimp cocktail, as served at one's grandma's house at Memorial Day. A hint of ketchup, and shrimp sitting out in the sun a smidge longer than is safe.
Upon savoring, one gets the taste of plain ol' salt n' vinegar chips.
After eating a Kit Kat- ah, there's the taste of shrimp.

Aero Chocolate Bar

More chocolate because I like chocolate, okay? Some days, chocolate is only thing standing between me and insanity. DON'T JUDGE ME.

Ahem, anyway. Aero bars are pretty nifty. The slogan (which I've seen on many buses here) is "Can you feel the bubbles melt?" I probably would, if I could control myself long enough to let a piece melt in my mouth. Instead I just NOM NOM NOM it down.

Aero bars are probably my favorite "cheap" chocolate here so far. They also go well with port.

Carrot and Coriander Soup

Depending on your definition of snack food, this may or may not count. I'm going to count it, because soup alone, unless I'm sick, never fills me up enough to constitute a meal. I see this advertised as the soup of the day at a lot of restaurants, so I guess it's pretty popular.

Upon opening the package: Smells like soup. Pretty nondescript.
Upon tasting: Tastes like dirt. Needs salt!
Upon addition of salt: It's okay. Not terrible, but I won't buy it from the grocery store again.

Something else that caught my eye, but that I didn't buy to take a picture (and I feel weird whipping out my camera in the middle of the grocery store): mayonnaise sandwiches. Sandwiches. Made of mayonnaise. Bread, with a slab of mayonnaise in between.

I'll try anything once, including your mom, but a mayonnaise sandwich? I'll pass. Unless you get me really drunk. I like port, scotch, gin, and a good red wine.

Comments

Anonymous said…
miracle whip sandwiches. still very popular in the states. NOT that i would eat one. - Melissa
Anitra said…
I LOVE Aero bars. They're hard to find here in the states, but I've seen them once or twice in specialty/"international" stores.
N. Vivian said…
In our days of extra-poor, I used to make lettuce sandwiches: mayo on bread with one or two pieces of lettuce between them. One day, we were out of lettuce, so I made myself a mayo sandwich. Lettuce sandwiches? Edible. Mayo sandwich? Not so much.

And I was hungry
World Of Snacks said…
Great blog! I used to live in England. Check out our international snack blog. We are looking at similar snacks from the UK and all around the world.

International Snacks

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey

I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.