I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.

This amuses me no end. But ticks me off at the same time. I will explain.

A while ago, I bought a satchel. It's big enough to fit in some papers, a book, an umbrella, and my wallet. It helps me avoid dragging a bunch of junk to work that I don't need. It has a strap long enough to put it across my body, leaving my hands free to push pedestrians walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk out of the way. It also fit in with my slightly dorky academic style, which I came by honestly by the fact a) I have a PhD in virology, and b) I have a job in academia.

Now, this style bag has been on the runway. And a designer, Mulberry, has made their own satchel which means soon everyone will have one. So, I'll look trendy! Not only trendy, but ahead of the curve by a few months! That's a new sensation. However, this will mean hipsters may start carrying one as well, which cheeses me off.

Those of you that know me well, or happen to be in my vicinity when I mutter "fucking hipsters" under my breath, know I dislike hipsters. Specifically, the ones that wear excessively dorky clothing and accessories because they are being "ironic". I feel like they're ripped off my style, and the style of anyone that hasn't quite figured out how to dress themselves (and don't care to know) without putting the work into it. They didn't have to go through the taunts because of their heavy glasses, color-clashing, ill-fitting clothes, or choice of reading material.

Are those lenses even real in those glasses, hipster? I'm blind in one eye. Mine are real. Twat. Eight times out of ten, the hipster with Nietzsche (or whatever the kids are reading these days, it was Ayn Rand in my time) under his/her arm hasn't actually read the book. Not that I've read Nietzsche, either, but that book about infectious diseases under my arm? Better believe I've read that one. Oh, you're not actually a nerd, you just play one in your social life? Gah! Poser!

I have some residual issues from being teased as a kid, if you hadn't noticed. This style isn't ironic for me. It is me. Full stop.

Working at a university, I wonder if students see me and think the same thing- that I'm just another fucking hipster. But, I know that I'm not- that I've had this same dorky, weird style since I was 10, and that it's not going to change. Once the hipsters move on from dork-chic, I'll still be wearing my heavy glasses and carrying my satchel.

PS It also amuses me that the word hipster is in the Blogger spell check. The expression Gah!, however, is not.

Comments

Anonymous said…
...and then instead of thinking you're a hipster, they'll be thinking how tragic it is that you've arrived at the geek chic trend too late. You can't win!
Anonymous said…
i love the way you write. -melissa

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey