An American in Leeds Revival

 

It's a country full of sheep.  

It's been over 10 years since I updated this blog. I wasn't sure it still even existed when I looked it up a couple of weeks ago. I figured some internet deity deemed it obsolete (Who blogs any more?!?) and deleted it. But nope, there it was when I searched for it. 

Two big developments since I last posted in 2016 that have rendered the title of my blog incorrect and incomplete:

  1. I moved to Bradford.
  2. I became a dual American-British citizen. 

I will possibly write about this more in the future. 

I don't know what possessed me to look up my old blog. I hadn't thought about it in years. I was halfway through putting on my 30 daily moisturisers when it popped back into my head. My original thought was "Huh, I should get rid of that thing, no one reads it any more."

Then I thought "Who cares if no one reads it any more? I've wanted to do more writing, why not start there? Less pressure!"

I started brainstorming ideas of what to write about. It was hard at first. What did I have to say now after nearly 18 years of living in the UK? 

 I started this blog in 2008 when I originally moved to Leeds. The original concept was to record my observations and musings as an American ex-pat as well as be a travelogue of the places I visited while here. I was only supposed to be here for 3 years, but the universe has a sense of humour I guess. 

But now, it's nearly 18 years later. I'm a British citizen. I've acclimated. Nothing seems odd or off kilter any more. This is just my life now. 

As I started jotting down ideas and had a long think in a sauna, I realised that I still have things to say. Reminisces of my early life here: how I struggled with basic things like washing machines, how it took me two and a half years to finish my first box of tea, learning to love the grocery store meal deal. Observations  about how frustrating dealing with the US is to me now: still! having to file a tax return every year, being on the phone with my bank for two hours explaining over and over that no, I cannot just come into a bank branch, I live 3200 miles away now, not being able to walk anywhere when I visit because of the lack of side walks. 

So, if you're an OG reader of this blog, welcome back! If you've just stumbled across me, welcome!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return of the Mack

Kirkstall Abbey

I am about to become trendy. And moderately angry.